Sunday 26 August 2012

Going back to work

Well, tomorrow's the big day - I'm heading back to work. Yup, back to the world where deadlines are more important than nap times, bags under your eyes are not a badge of honour and people won't just laugh in sympathy when they notice the dried barf on your shoulder.

I'm excited and sad and anxious and worried and happy and nervous. I'm also, not surprisingly, feeling a little reflective. I've been at home for 15 months now ... 15 months away from work ... so I've had some time to contemplate both the stay-at-home and working mom scenarios. If you ask me, neither is perfect - I think there are pros and cons to each option and instead of picking a side that's "right," women should focus on finding and then being comfortable with the situations that work best for them and their families.

All in all, I found my time at home to be quiet, peaceful and a little bit boring. In addition to getting to spend extra time with my darling children, here are some of the things I'm going to miss when I go back to work:
  • a (mostly) non-panicky morning routine and walking Ella to school
  • doing the grocery shopping during the day
  • seeing my mom every Friday (or sometimes Thursdays)
  • afternoon naps
  • an all-time low stress level (possibly related to the afternoon naps)
  • rocking arm muscles
  • daytime TV (goodbye, Ellen)
  • being able to register Ella for after-school programs
  • plenty of time for crafts

As you know (or can imagine), being at home with kids isn't all shits and giggles (or maybe it is???). There are definitely some things I'm looking forward to about returning to work, including:
  • not having as many bumps, bruises, scratches and bite marks
  • having adult conversations that don't revolve around sleep schedules, developmental milestones and food preferences
  • wearing clean clothes, high heels and make-up every day
  • being able to eat lunch in peace
  • feeling like I'm part of a team
  • completing a project, and the associated sense of accomplishment
  • getting paid

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Since you haven't posted since this last update, it's like you went back to work and never came back.

    ReplyDelete