Sunday 16 September 2012

My poor little toes

This weekend Ella and I went shopping. The main reason was to get Ella some new runners, but I was also on the lookout for some new footwear. I'm not one of those 'shoe people' (you know who you are!) but I do have a new job, so buying some new shoes isn't an unreasonable exercise.

No luck on the runners (why do all girls shoes still have to have some pink or purple on them?) but Ella did get some cute new boots. And then I got to go shopping ... and I noticed something interesting. None of the women's shoes came in half sizes. And I am most definitely a size 6 1/2. Where did all the half sizes go???


I spotted these cute black flats - perfect for
casual Fridays. The size 6 fit, but my toes were pressed right up to the end of the shoe and I knew they'd get uncomfortable pretty quickly, especially since I tried them on barefoot and sock weather is rapidly approaching. And my feet were swimming in the size 7, too big even for an insole to fix. So sadly, I am not the proud owner of these shoes.

Now granted, we were shopping at one of those big box shoes stores, where most shoes are under $100. So my theory is that mass shoe manufacturers have decided that it's cheaper and more efficient to only produce shoes in full sizes. Lucky for those perfect size sevens out there, but what about all us half sizers? Are we supposed to forever suffer from blisters or floppy shoes? I'm too old for that. I'm guessing 'real' shoe manufacturers are still making shoes in half sizes, but sometimes you just don't want to pay a hundred dollars for a pair of cute casual Friday shoes.

So we left the store, a bit sadder and with money still in my wallet. My toes were feeling a little discriminated against (it's not their fault they're in-between sizes) but they calmed down when I told them we were heading to Florida soon and hopefully we'd be able to find some good half-size shoe deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment