Thursday 12 July 2012

My latest treasure

I'm rather envious of people whose houses are that perfect mix of new and vintage items. I think a unique antique or quirky flea market find is just so much more interesting than something off-the-shelf from Homesense. And yet, I never seem to have much luck finding that one-of-a-kind piece that complements, not junkifies, my home. Until I found this:


I saw it in the window of a nondescript, unnamed, mish-mash of a little store I walked by after dropping Ella off at camp the other day (I was trying desperately to find a coffee shop). It was peeking out from behind a pile of old VHS tapes and some retro action figures, and it was calling my name. The whole transaction was a little dodgy, but that just added to the thrill of the find; needless to say, I didn't get a receipt.

I'm not a fan of model ships, but I was drawn to this one by the simplicity and curve of the lines and the fact that it's virtually unadorned. I may also have been slightly influenced by our family's new favourite movie, The Adventures of Tintin, which features a model ship as a key part of its tale. (If you haven't yet seen it, I'd highly recommend it - the animation is amazing and the story is fun and flows along so smoothly.)

It looks perfect on the mantle (exactly where I pictured it) - it fits in with the other natural and beach/sea-related items in my home, and it adds just the right amount of quirkiness. And for $20, who cares if I change my mind in a couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment