Tuesday 17 July 2012

Summer vacation reading

Yeah, we're on vacation for a week at the cottage!! Except that vacations aren't quite what they used to be. Yes, a week away still means no work and living in comfy clothes and not worrying about my To Do list. But days full of entertaining two kids and nights sleeping in cramped quarters don't necessarily add up to the most relaxing holiday. I'm learning how to reframe my expectations of vacation time, but it's hard.

One thing I definitely haven't been able to let go of in this new vacation paradigm, is the idea that I'll have tons of time to read. And so, as usual, I've packed a bag full of books for our week up north. I likely won't get through all of them, but I just love the idea of the possibility of a quiet afternoon spent reading in a hammock.


Here's what's in my book bag this week:

I've also packed a few parenting books, with the (likely misguided) idea that I'll be inspired to tackle some of things I currently find challenging about parenting. To be honest, I rarely read parenting books - that section of the bookstore is just too overwhelming and I really do try to trust my instincts. But every once in a while I can use a bit of help, so here's what I've packed:

Book reports to follow - stay tuned.

PS. If you're looking for a good summer read, I'd recommend the absolutely spellbinding The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (especially now that it's out in paperback) and Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to get this Night Circus book from the library. I had it in my hands and I was going to take it out but then I thought I read something about a fight to the death ... After Hunger Games I wasn't up for it. But now everyone is recommending it so I'm intrigued. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete